Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Post Production



While I am working on a tutorial about White Balance (by request of Buttercup), I thought I would take a few minutes and give my views on a subject near and dear to many: Post Production.

If you are new to photography and are navigating the many web sites out there you will come across the term PP a lot. PP is simply post production and that just means what you do with the picture once you have downloaded (or scanned) it into your computer.

You may also come across the acronym SOOC which stands for Straight Out Of the Camera, meaning no editing at all has been done to the picture you are viewing. I like SOOC best to be honest.

My aim in photographing someone or thing is to make it as lifelife as possible; I want to capture what I am seeing in reality on paper or in this case: in pixels. Do I use a little PP here and there? Of course. For the most part though my aim is to correct something I did incorrectly when I pressed the shutter release button: sharpen, lighten, straighten etc.

The above picture though has been through some PP. Just a touch. I blurred the first layer and added a super sharp layer on top of that. I then added a cloud texture layer and border. I am not quite sure what to think of the outcome. I'll let you decide for yourselves, as here is the original:





Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Shutter Speed: 1/125 seconds
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 18 mm
Flash: None
Return: None
Metering: Patterned



~ame

No comments: